TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
31 people found this useful

How do I enter my rental income and expenses in TurboTax?

Rental income is income you earn from renting property that you own or have use of. You can own the property by yourself or with someone else. Rental income includes income from renting:

  • houses
  • apartments
  • rooms
  • space in an office building
  • other real or movable property


If you’re a partner and you received a T5013 slip

  1. Select Find in the upper-right hand corner.
  2. Type T5013.
  3. Select T5013 Partnership Income from the list and then select Go.


If you don’t receive a T5013 slip

You need to prepare a separate rental statement for each rental property you have. Canadian and/or foreign rental income and expenses are reported in the same section of TurboTax.

  1. Select Find in the upper-right hand corner.
  2. Type Rental Properties and then select Go.




  • Enter only deductible expenses that you were not reimbursed for and have not deducted elsewhere
  • If you rent out a part of the building that you live in, you can claim only the portion of your expenses that relate to the rented part of the building.

If you are a co-owner or member of a partnership:

  • Enter your percentage of ownership in the Identification section and complete the Details of other co-owners and partners section, including the co-owners/partners percentage of ownership.
  • Enter the total gross income; do not enter just your portion/share



Related information