How do I report foreign income, foreign pension and other foreign amounts?
Enter your foreign income, pension, and other amounts in TurboTax, even if your amounts aren’t reported on T-slips.
Before you begin, know when to use Canadian or foreign currency
Important: Amounts on a T-slip: If the amounts on your foreign income slip are reported in a foreign currency, convert them to Canadian dollars before you enter them. If the amount was paid at various times throughout the year, use an average annual exchange rate. (Visit the Bank of Canada’s website for daily exchange rates and the average annual exchange rate.)
Important: Amounts not on a T-slip (such as on the Foreign slip step): For foreign non-business income that is not on a T-slip, including US social security, do not convert the amounts to Canadian dollars before you enter them. TurboTax converts the amounts automatically based on the exchange rate you enter.
Instructions for the online and CD/download edition of TurboTax
1. In the upper-right area of TurboTax, select Find*.
2. In the Find window, type “T-slips.”
3. Select T-slips from the options that appear, then select Go.
In the online edition of TurboTax, the Income Slips step appears.
In the CD/download edition of TurboTax, the Entering your federal T-slips step appears.
4. Select all your slips from the list. If you have amounts not reported on a T-slip, such as foreign pension, select Foreign slip.
5. Select Continue.
TurboTax displays a separate entry screen for each slip you selected.
6. Follow the instructions on each entry screen to enter the information from your slips.
*If you can’t access the Find button, continue completing your return until the Find button becomes accessible.