Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Duck2

Claimed capital gains in 2013 and paid taxes. Have capital losses in 2015. Can I apply loss to 2013 and get taxes back? I thought Turbo Tax does it automatically?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Claimed capital gains in 2013 and paid taxes. Have capital losses in 2015. Can I apply loss to 2013 and get taxes back? I thought Turbo Tax does it automatically?

Yes you can apply capital losses back up to three years.  It is not automatic as you have to choose to do so.  If you do you won't see the difference on the 2015 return...essentially CRA will adjust the 2013 return and send you the resulting difference.  

If you have trouble with this
Please call us by clicking the following link to the Contact Us page. Then complete the required information. A phone number will appear, along with your incident ID. Call the number. This will ensure that an appropriate agent is assigned to your query:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/
We look forward to hearing from you.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes you can apply capital losses back up to three years.  It is not automatic as you have to choose to do so.  If you do you won't see the difference on the 2015 return...essentially CRA will adjust the 2013 return and send you the resulting difference.  

If you have trouble with this
Please call us by clicking the following link to the Contact Us page. Then complete the required information. A phone number will appear, along with your incident ID. Call the number. This will ensure that an appropriate agent is assigned to your query:

https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/
We look forward to hearing from you.