Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bradhill

My T5008 only shows proceeds of the disposition. Do I input the book values myself? Should this be done also in the Capital Gains/ Losses section?

I have capital losses, but will they be calculated twice if I fill out the book values of the T5008 and show them in the capita losses section?
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My T5008 only shows proceeds of the disposition. Do I input the book values myself? Should this be done also in the Capital Gains/ Losses section?

If you know the book values, then yes, enter those yourself.  The Capital Gain section is for people who tend to do their own buying and selling, and do not receive the T5008, so if you report the amounts from the T5008 in the Capital Gains section it will double the income/loss.

If you do not know the book value, you will need to contact the investment broker to get the information.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you know the book values, then yes, enter those yourself.  The Capital Gain section is for people who tend to do their own buying and selling, and do not receive the T5008, so if you report the amounts from the T5008 in the Capital Gains section it will double the income/loss.

If you do not know the book value, you will need to contact the investment broker to get the information.