Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved from ON to QC, can I still claim my unused Provincial tuition?

I've seen various answers regarding this, and I'm hoping to get some advice.

I moved from Ontario (Ottawa) to Quebec (Gatineau) within the last few months of 2017. Because of this, I now have to file my taxes in Quebec. I have $8440 in unused Federal Tuition and $4500 in unused Provincial tuition. My school was also in Ontario. Can I still claim my provincial tuition amount when filing in Quebec?

I've read a few resources which told me to input the federal amount under the provincial section. Would I put the $8440 in both the federal section as well as the provincial section? This seems odd to me as I have only half that amount in provincial credits available. 

1 Reply

Moved from ON to QC, can I still claim my unused Provincial tuition?

UPDATE 3/29/19

There have been some changes to the Tuition Credit on a Provincial level for Ontario and Saskatchewan for 2018 and New Brunswick as of 2017. Tuition is no longer a provincial credit for students in those three (3) provinces. 

Therefore, any Provincial amounts to enter the tuition transfer will not be available, as seen in previous years.

Yes you can, this link will fully answer your question(if needed there are links on that page that may be helpful as well):

Can I claim both federal and provincial tuition and education amounts?