Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My mother sold her family home following my father's death. How does she file the proceeds?

They built their home in 1967 and lived in it together until he died in January 2017.  She subsequently sold the home in October 2017.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My mother sold her family home following my father's death. How does she file the proceeds?

Under the "Income" tab > "Principal Residence" then when setting up the information for the Designation you will indicate that the property qualifies for "all of the years" it was owned. There will not be a tax consequence on the tax return.

Your mother will be the only owner.

There can also be the same designation on your father's Final Return with the indication that the property was sold to a spouse. This would be for only his share of the value of the home.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Under the "Income" tab > "Principal Residence" then when setting up the information for the Designation you will indicate that the property qualifies for "all of the years" it was owned. There will not be a tax consequence on the tax return.

Your mother will be the only owner.

There can also be the same designation on your father's Final Return with the indication that the property was sold to a spouse. This would be for only his share of the value of the home.