Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mislennt

Can I use my sister as an additional residency? Form T2222. I bought condo in Edmonton and we both lived in it, she didn't work ,she went university fulltime. Both single

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I use my sister as an additional residency? Form T2222. I bought condo in Edmonton and we both lived in it, she didn't work ,she went university fulltime. Both single

Here the answer from CRA:

"You can claim an additional residency amount if you maintained and lived in a dwelling in the northern or intermediate zone during that time and you are the only person in your household claiming the basic residency amount."

So, providing she is not claiming the Northern allowance, you can claim the additional amount. 

I'm not sure Edmonton is in the prescribed Zone..... Best to double check. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Here the answer from CRA:

"You can claim an additional residency amount if you maintained and lived in a dwelling in the northern or intermediate zone during that time and you are the only person in your household claiming the basic residency amount."

So, providing she is not claiming the Northern allowance, you can claim the additional amount. 

I'm not sure Edmonton is in the prescribed Zone..... Best to double check.