Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mvachonr

What information do I enter for my non-Canadian spouse who is not a resident and has no income from Canada?

I moved from Canada to Italy in February 2018.  I know that I qualify as a non-resident and have made the changes with the CRA.  

However, I married to an Italian man in January 2018, and TurboTax is asking me to enter his tax information, including a SIN that he does not have since he is neither a Canadian citizen nor a Canadian resident.  TurboTax also asks whether he has an income or whether he is self-employed. He is an Italian citizen and an Italian resident, and is self-employed in Italy, having no ties whatsoever to Canada except being married to me.  What information am I supposed to enter?

2 Replies

What information do I enter for my non-Canadian spouse who is not a resident and has no income from Canada?

You will file your taxes as per you normally would. 

• At the beginning it will ask you if your residency status has changed, as well as your marital status, you enter YES and it will ask the date of marital status change as well as departure date from Canada, you enter this information. 
  • Continue through, when it comes to your non-resident spouse with no financial ties to Canada, you simply enter 000 000 000 for SIN and ZERO income because it relates to nothing in Canada, especially since you left within the first 2 months of that taxation year. On that same screen, be sure to select No to the “Are you claiming spousal amount?” question to ensure no credits are applied for him.  

This will allow you to move forward in the tax return.

This should probably be in BOLD or listed as an option for you when filing under these circumstances.