Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danglover

Can I not use RRSP contributions that I made to a spousal RRSP as repayment to my HBP. I "assumed" that since I contributed the funds that I would be able to?

I need to repay  my HBP withdrawl, I always just bought RRSP's in my name. This year I bought the RRSP in my wifes name (Spousal rrsp). TurboTax seems to say that I can't use them for repayment???

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I not use RRSP contributions that I made to a spousal RRSP as repayment to my HBP. I "assumed" that since I contributed the funds that I would be able to?

You can't do that. You borrowed HBP out your own RRSP, not your spouse's.

You need to make a contribution to your own RRSP in order to repay HBP, otherwise CRA will assume you have withdrawn the amount in question. It then gets added to your income and is taxed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can't do that. You borrowed HBP out your own RRSP, not your spouse's.

You need to make a contribution to your own RRSP in order to repay HBP, otherwise CRA will assume you have withdrawn the amount in question. It then gets added to your income and is taxed.

danglover

I thought that was the answer but hoped not. Too bad the bank folk didn't know when I bought them. Thanks