Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A couple with a dependent n would like to file his own return. How do I includ his return coupled with his parents or do i need to create one completely indep from them

A couple with a dependent who have always filed as such and  this year would like to file his own return. How do I include his return coupled (linked) with his parents or do i need to create one completely independant from them? Then how do  i transfer post-secondary studies to the dad?

1 Reply

A couple with a dependent n would like to file his own return. How do I includ his return coupled with his parents or do i need to create one completely indep from them

You don't need to do a return for the dependant that wants to do his own return. Instead, you'll simply ask the dependant to give you the amounts you need to couple his parents return. You'll need his income from line 236 of his return and the amount of tuition he indicated he'd be transferring to his parents.

This FAQ describes where to enter his tuition transfer amounts into the parent's return: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647703