Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding an RRSP receipt to 2021 return

For my 2021 tax year, I had mistakenly made two RRSP contributions -- one in November 2021, the other in February 2022. 

I only claimed the February contribution in 2021, with my intention being to claim the February contribution in 2022. 

Now in filing my 2022 return, I believe it is not correct or possible to use that February 2022 contribution UNLESS it was included in my 2021 return. Also, the Turbo Tax RRSP entry form doesnt allow me to enter a receipt before March 1st, 2022. 

So two questions:

1. Is it true that I can't claim the February 2022 contribution in 2022 without having included it in my 2021 return?

2. If I do have to include it in 2021, does that mean I need to revise and refile my 2021 return and wait for the CRA to approve it before I can submit 2022?

1 Reply

Adding an RRSP receipt to 2021 return

Yes, if you made an RRSP contribution in February 2022, you have to enter it on your 2021 return. 

Ideally, you would wait until you received your NOA from the CRA after changing your 2021, and if you are using ReFile or My Account to make the change, it should not take long to get it. But if you are in a hurry, you can adjust the 2021 and then send your 2022 without waiting for the NOA.