Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sandra73

2017 Canadian Income Tax , Can I claim my mother she is 85 yrs old elderly dependent credit or caregiver and she receive monthly old age security .

my mother 85 yr  old, Personal income tax I also claim  annual rental amount nit is okay to so will his effect when her daughter n

I claim her as caregivers .

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2017 Canadian Income Tax , Can I claim my mother she is 85 yrs old elderly dependent credit or caregiver and she receive monthly old age security .

You may be able to claim the Caregiver credit for your Mother based on certain conditions. You will need to confirm if she has a medical condition that a doctor will describe in a formal letter for CRA purposes. I have provided a link to some additional information below.

If you are claiming a dependant, include them on your tax return under the "Setting Up or Introduction area of Turbo Tax software.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Sandra73

Hi Terry, She did take medication like diabetes, high blood pills, but still physically okay. It there a general credit amount claims for, such as take her out to the doctor when need it, outside on weekend grocery etc.. thanks

You can claim the medical expenses you pay for a Dependant based on that Dependant's net income. Include your mother on your tax return with her net income provided. Dependant added under Setting Up, Net Income added under "Deductions" > Additional dependant information and then check the box under Medical Expenses Profile for claiming her medical receipts.
Sandra73

All her medical receipts paid by OHIP and not from personal pockets.  I drive her around the city.
Sandra73

she doesn't have any income but she receive monthly old age security and less than one thousand dollars for social assistance amount for the year.
Sandra73

It has allowed to claim my mother if she receives monthly old age security and social assistance, show on 2017 tax- dependant information, an eligible dependant Fed $11635 and Prov $8636? all her medical paid by ohip.  I am not sure if the listed above count as her income?

Your mothers Net Income will be the Total of her T4A(OAS) and her T5007. The federal government no longer allows a claim for Caregiver simply based on an individuals income you must have a letter from a doctor detailing the nature of an infirmity that requires you to provide assistance for your moths regular needs.
The Canada Caregiver Amount brings three main changes:
1. The dependant you’re supporting must be “infirm”.
This means that your family member must be dependant upon you due to a physical or mental condition or “infirmity”. In the past, if you lived with a parent or grandparent over the age of 65, you were eligible for the former Caregiver Amount, even if the senior wasn’t “infirm”. That’s’ no longer the case.

You may be able to claim the Caregiver credit for your Mother based on certain conditions. You will need to confirm if she has a medical condition that a doctor will describe in a formal letter for CRA purposes. I have provided a link to some additional information below.

If you are claiming a dependant, include them on your tax return under the "Setting Up or Introduction area of Turbo Tax software.