Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlum11

Already filed, forgot to add a T4 slip - do I start a second return?

Hi! 

I filed my taxes last night, but found a T4 slip that I'd forgotten to add this morning! A lot of the posts here are saying that it'll be added by the CRA automatically, but I was wondering if it would make sense to start a second return? I don't want to be penalized for this, and there doesn't seem to be anyone that I can contact to let them know what happened... 

Thanks! 

1 Reply

Already filed, forgot to add a T4 slip - do I start a second return?

You will not be penalized for forgetting a T4 information slip. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) suggests to wait till you receive your Notice of Assessment (NOA) before making any adjustment and asks not to file a second return. Yes, often the CRA will include the missed T4 during their assessment as they already have it in your file. This would mean that you no longer need to make an adjustment. By waiting for your NOA, you will be able to verify if the missed information has already been added or if you still need to make an adjustment. If needed, there are different ways to correct this information as seen in our TurboTax article: How to Change Your Tax Return After You’ve Filed. You can also contact the CRA by calling them at 1-800-959-8281.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.