Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
heidikaz

Can I change the social insurance number? I entered an incorrect number for my daughter's 2016 return so need to change that.

4 Replies

Can I change the social insurance number? I entered an incorrect number for my daughter's 2016 return so need to change that.

If you haven't NETFILED the tax return yet, you can simply click on the heading Getting Started and click on Personal information and you will be able to correct the entry for the Social Insurance Number.

If you have already NETFILED your income tax return, you will have to wait for the Notice of Assessment and then file an adjustment request.  Please see the following FAQ for instructions on how to do so:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647992

this answer is not correct. the netfile rejected because the sin was wrong but your software has now locked the number. you software is painful. so now what do i do. not happy customer

aparis70

Why lock the SIN??? You mean you are going to make me re-enter all the info? If that is the case, you can be sure I dump your software next year.

oviemerlo

Why cant you make your software flexible to enable clients change their SIN number? especially if their residency status changed and required a new SIN. what happens to the fee paid on the old SIN  number that was saved on your system?