Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbradnam

Can I transfer the Saskatchewan Amount for Dependent Children from my wife to myself?

My wife is only paying $60 in Saskatchewan Provincial Income Tax, yet I pay over $6000, so transferring a $6000 credit would be nice
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I transfer the Saskatchewan Amount for Dependent Children from my wife to myself?

The Saskatchewan Dependent claim will originate on the parent with the lower income and any unused amount is automatically transferred to the higher income spouse in the SK428.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The Saskatchewan Dependent claim will originate on the parent with the lower income and any unused amount is automatically transferred to the higher income spouse in the SK428.

Twiggs

Can we change it to have the unused amount back to the lower income spouse so that they are claiming all of the Saskatchewan Dependent claim?

@Twiggs The Saskatchewan dependent child credit has to be claimed by the lower earning spouse first. Any credit not used by the lower earning spouse will automatically be transferred to the higher earning spouse. 

Twiggs

So there is no way to change that? I have a substantial amount owing and claiming the full Saskatchewan Dependent amount would reduce that.

No, there is no way to change it. 

Twiggs

Lovely. Ok thank you for the info.