Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
izadga

Claim for dependents question. My mom has lived with me and my 17 year old son since 2008 but i don't know if i should claim her as a dependent.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Claim for dependents question. My mom has lived with me and my 17 year old son since 2008 but i don't know if i should claim her as a dependent.

Then yes, you can claim her as a dependant and claim the caregiver amount. 

Line 315 â€“ Caregiver amount

If, at any time in 2016, you (either alone or with another person) maintained a dwelling where you and one or more of your dependants lived, you may be able to claim a maximum amount of $4,667 ($6,788 if he or she is eligible for the family caregiver amount) for each dependant.

Each dependant must have met all of the following criteria:

• He or she was18 years of age or older
  • He or she had a net income in 2016 (line 236 of his or her return, or it would have been if he or she filed a return) of less than $20,607 ($22,728 if he or she was eligible for the family caregiver amount)
  • He or she was dependent on you due to an impairment in physical or mental functions or, if he or she is your or your spouse's or common-law partner's parent or grandparent, was born in 1951 or earlier

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Is your mom over 65 or is she disabled? does she have any income?
izadga

She is 69 and is receiving CPP and OAS only.

Then yes, you can claim her as a dependant and claim the caregiver amount. 

Line 315 â€“ Caregiver amount

If, at any time in 2016, you (either alone or with another person) maintained a dwelling where you and one or more of your dependants lived, you may be able to claim a maximum amount of $4,667 ($6,788 if he or she is eligible for the family caregiver amount) for each dependant.

Each dependant must have met all of the following criteria:

• He or she was18 years of age or older
  • He or she had a net income in 2016 (line 236 of his or her return, or it would have been if he or she filed a return) of less than $20,607 ($22,728 if he or she was eligible for the family caregiver amount)
  • He or she was dependent on you due to an impairment in physical or mental functions or, if he or she is your or your spouse's or common-law partner's parent or grandparent, was born in 1951 or earlier

You can also request an adjustment to prior year taxes to claim this credit for years you were entitled to.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1-adj/t1-adj-fill-16e.pdf for each year and send with A Schedule5 for each year.

You can get the schedules here: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/formspubs/t1gnrl/llyrs-eng.html, just pick your tax year, province and then select Schedule 5.
izadga

Thank you very much for all the info.