Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Claiming dependant when separated

My husband and I are separated and have 2 children. I was told at one time by CRA that he can claim one child and I can claim the other. One child has childcare expenses and the other does not. I'm the one that pays for the childcare, so do I have to claim that child so I can get the credit for the expenses, and my ex claim the other child or does it matter? The form also asks if the dependants lived with me, they were 50/50 between me and their dad, so do we both put yes that they lived with me and that they lived with him. There seems to be such a grey area surrounding this and I can't seem to get consistent answers anywhere (including CRA). Thank you.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you and your ex can list both children under dependants and say yes to living with you. In the dependant credit section, you would claim the Amount for an Eligible Dependant for one child and your ex would claim this amount for the other child. You can claim your own childcare expenses each of you has paid.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
guyandlucie
Returning Member

does this still apply for 2018 taxes

Yes, you and your ex can list both children under dependants and say yes to living with you. In the dependant credit section, you would claim the Amount for an Eligible Dependant for one child and your ex would claim this amount for the other child. You can claim your own childcare expenses each of you has paid.