Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We paid for audit defence on tax return now we got a letter asking us to provide documents …however how could we get help now ? there should be a phone number

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We paid for audit defence on tax return now we got a letter asking us to provide documents …however how could we get help now ? there should be a phone number

Since most tax returns are netfiled, CRA does not get any information other than is what is sent in the return.  For this reason, after tax time, they send out requests to see the support.  It is not the same thing as an audit, where they request all of your business and payroll records for the past three years.

Usually, all you have to do is follow the instructions on the letter, collect your receipts, keep a copy for your own records, copy the requested schedules from the copy to saved for your records, (you did save a copy, right?) and then fax it all off to them.

In about six weeks, you will get a letter back saying all is well.  If they get back to you and disallow your deductions, then get in touch with support and they will get you in touch with the audit team.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Since most tax returns are netfiled, CRA does not get any information other than is what is sent in the return.  For this reason, after tax time, they send out requests to see the support.  It is not the same thing as an audit, where they request all of your business and payroll records for the past three years.

Usually, all you have to do is follow the instructions on the letter, collect your receipts, keep a copy for your own records, copy the requested schedules from the copy to saved for your records, (you did save a copy, right?) and then fax it all off to them.

In about six weeks, you will get a letter back saying all is well.  If they get back to you and disallow your deductions, then get in touch with support and they will get you in touch with the audit team.

What does this part means :copy the requested schedules from the copy to saved for your records, (you did save a copy, right?) and then fax it all off to them.

Also I claimed less than what I spent for my moving expenses now they are asking to make a statement to show how calculate for instant the cost of meals …How can I make it works?

This form is included in the copy of your tax return.  

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t1-m/t1-m-fill-14e.pdf

This form has all the information you input into the software to get the figure for your moving expense deduction.  They want to see how it was filled in.  CRA does not get a copy of this form when your taxes are netfiled.  

You will also need to attach meals receipts, fuel expense receipts, the cost of the movers, and any accommodation receipts to support the amounts that you claimed.  If you used the simplified method, the receipts for meals and fuel will support the number of meals that you claimed.

Copy all of the receipts that you have for your move.  If you actually spent more than what you claimed, they will increase your deduction and it may result in a higher refund.

Once you have everything together and copied, send it via mail or fax.  The address is on the letter as is the fax number.

1) If I don't have all the receipts can I support my claim by providing copy of visa statement or a letter of confirmation from my temporary accommodation hotel ?
 2)Also should I fill in the T1-MOVING form exactly as same as what I did when did my tax to reach the same amount of claim or If I have document I can claim more ?
3) I moved from east of canada to west and I just drove 8-10 hours a day and I stayed in 2 cities 1 extra day so it took me 11 days would day accept it or I have to consider shorter time ?

1.  CRA will not accept Visa statements. The temporary accommodation hotels should be able to provide duplicate receipts, or you can ask Visa to provide duplicate receipts.
2.  You still need to print a copy of your return for your records.  Do not miss this step because the records are not kept on the TurboTax servers longer than two years.  Use your actual copy.  Keep a copy of it for your own records. The claim must be the same as what you filed on your return.  The original copy from your return will have "file copy" printed on it.
3. If you have fuel receipts to prove the mileage cost and receipts for the accommodations, send copies of all of them.  CRA will look at the difference between the simplified method and your actual cost, and they will add to the amount of the deduction if they feel it fair.
guy3
Level 1

CRA audits don't just ask for "all of your business and payroll records for the past three years" as Delph has stated. They may ask for just one specific category of business expenses e.g. travel, auto or meals/entertainment. Also they may ask for whatever time period they are interested in. Or as Delph states they may ask for everything.