Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I claim my common law partners' daughter as a dependent if she lives with us part time?

Last year my partner and I became common law therefore this year our income taxes will be linked.  My partner has a daughter who lives primarily with her mother, and she stays with us every other weekend.  The mother claims all child benefits as she is the primary care taker.  We have child care expenses for her as she also spends certain breaks with us.  I am the lower income earner.  Two parts to my question:  1)  Do I claim her as a dependent on my tax return, and if so where do I add her?  2)  Where do I claim the child care expenses we paid out for her?
1 Reply

Do I claim my common law partners' daughter as a dependent if she lives with us part time?

Yes. You would claim her as a dependant on your return if you are filing as common-law.

Add her as a dependant in the Setting Up section of your return. You may also use the Find button to search/select the option Dependants.

Childcare expenses are claimed in the Deductions section of your return under the heading Child Care Expenses.

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647751