Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GAF

Easystep instructions on preparing returns jointly with spouse "because the combined outcome will always be the same or better" is a misrepresentation. Correct?

A misrepresentation that could have cost me $8000 in additional refunds. The Easystep instructions on preparing returns jointly with spouse "we recommend that you prepare your returns together because the combined outcome will always be the same or better than if you prepared your returns separately" is a factual misrepresentation.  Our household donations are high enough that the donation optimizer was going to carryforward donations.  Only because I knew the refund calculation was low did I have to do more research rather than relying on the Easystep assertion. I had to re-enter all data on two returns in order to file separately.  A taxpayer who relied on solely on the Turbotax software would have potentially lost thousand of dollars of refunds?

2 Replies

Easystep instructions on preparing returns jointly with spouse "because the combined outcome will always be the same or better" is a misrepresentation. Correct?

Your tax situation sounds like it might be more complicated than average.

Would you be willing to share your tax return with us so we could review it and understand where the donation optimizer went wrong? If so, please reply and I'll have some on contact you to guide you through how to share your tax return with us in a way that masks your personal info for your privacy.

GAF

I'm willing to share info.