Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ll46
Returning Member

Filed my 2021 return before the 2020 return

Hello, I need urgent help.

I am an international student here since 2020. This is my first time filing taxes here since 2023 was the first time I earned an income (I am aware that I could have filed in previous years for tuition credits, etc.).

The problem that I'm facing is that I've filed the 2021 return, and now I'm not sure that when I file my 2020 return, if (or how) my tuition tax credits from 2020 will carry forward.

Thanks

3 Replies

If you file your 2020 return quick enough, the CRA might apply the tuition carry-forward to your 2021 return. If not, no worries. You can adjust your 2021 return to fix the amount.

ll46
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply.

While filing the 2020 return, do I say that I'm filing the tax credit for the first time? I've filed the 2021 return but it still hasn't been processed. 

Also, I thought I should just let you know, I used to live outside Canada in 2020 since classes were online due to Covid (I moved here in 2021). Should I file for 2020 (i.e. am I eligible)? Note that I'll be filing just for the tuition tax credit (no Canadian income, I don't think I'll be eligible for other credits/deductions)

If you haven't gotten your Notice of Assessment for your first return yet, then you still have not officially filed a return in Canada yet.

If you were a non resident in 2020, then you would have to mail or fax in your return for that year.