Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello my name is zahir i have a question about the disability tax credit ,I have my mother as dependent and she have 81 years old and diabetic type 2 can I claim amount ?

dependent (parent sponsorship)last year she have nothing from the government like pension....
9 Replies

Hello my name is zahir i have a question about the disability tax credit ,I have my mother as dependent and she have 81 years old and diabetic type 2 can I claim amount ?

Does your mother already have an agreement with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) called a T2201 Disability Tax Credit which she would have applied for and are you named on it as the person she could transfer the unused portion of it from her taxes? 

For more information, please see our TurboTax article: Your Guide to the Disability Tax Credit 2023

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Hi thank you for your fast response

no she don't have fill  this form ,as my dependent (parent sponsorship) from  November the 2022.

she is 82 years old and diabetic with type 2 

I am not sure if she will qualify to fill up this form thank you 

Unfortunately, until your mother applies to have a Disability tax credit (DTC) on file with the Canada Revenue Agency, you will not be able to claim it on your taxes. Once your mother has a DTC you can have both your taxes adjusted to claim for past years up to 10 years if the claim is accepted.

You may wish to see our TurboTax FAQ: What's attendant care and what can I claim in TurboTax?

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

thank you 

for her situation she is senior 82  years old and diabetic type 2 my question by your experience can her doctor fill up this form to claim at least a part for this amount .

Or it have any other credit in the the tax return she or I can claim 

Another question please just to  make sure ,like I sponsor her ,she don't any income like pension ....Do I need to make a tax return with her name or just I put her like dependent in my tax return it will be ok 

thank you 

As you just mentioned you're sponsoring her, it may be important to call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) to ask these questions as per her status. I have included a link to other deductions in my answer above but things may change as per the CRA. Please call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 for further clarification.

Thank you for choosing 

thank you for your response 

your responses very helpful for me I appreciate that

I have another question but not in the same topic

I cash out my RRSP and I have the RRSP receipt my question is how I put this amount in my tax return or it is automatic from the CRA 

Thank you

When you are completing your tax return you will go on the left hand side - Income- T4RSP- and continue, you will then see that the T4RSP page will open upo and you will be able to enter the amounts in the appropriate box that is on your slip.

Thank  you for choosing TurboTax.

thank you for your response 

the thing I have only the RRSP receipt with my social number  ,account number and the amount (cash out) so I don't have any idea to fill in the boxes on the T4RSP

Look on the top of the paper it should tell you if its a T4RSP or exactly what it is. They will provide you with one by end of February- you will need to wait for it, to complete your income tax return.