Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I declare myself as a resident of Ontario or Quebec?

My family's/my home is in Ontario but I live, go to school and work in Quebec; do I declare myself as a resident of Ontario or Quebec?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Here's information from the in product help:

Select the province or territory where you lived as of December 31, 2014.

If You had residential ties in more than one province or territory, select the province or territory where you have your most important residential ties. For example, if you usually live in Ontario, but you were going to school in Alberta or staying in a ski chalet in Québec, you would use the package for Ontario.

Residential ties include where your home (owned or leased) and personal property are, and where your spouse or common-law partner or dependants reside. Other relevant ties may include social ties, driver's licence, bank accounts or credit cards, and provincial or territorial hospitalization insurance.

For more information, see Income Tax Folio S5-F1-C1, Determining an Individual's Residence Status.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Here's information from the in product help:

Select the province or territory where you lived as of December 31, 2014.

If You had residential ties in more than one province or territory, select the province or territory where you have your most important residential ties. For example, if you usually live in Ontario, but you were going to school in Alberta or staying in a ski chalet in Québec, you would use the package for Ontario.

Residential ties include where your home (owned or leased) and personal property are, and where your spouse or common-law partner or dependants reside. Other relevant ties may include social ties, driver's licence, bank accounts or credit cards, and provincial or territorial hospitalization insurance.

For more information, see Income Tax Folio S5-F1-C1, Determining an Individual's Residence Status.