Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi can anyone tell me what to enter for spousal net income if my spouse hasn't filed returns yet?

1 Reply

Hi can anyone tell me what to enter for spousal net income if my spouse hasn't filed returns yet?

Whether your spouse has filed a return or not, you should always include an amount for the spouse’s income as per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).

When you don’t know your spouse’s income and can’t find out through reasonable means, the CRA recommends that you enter your best estimate.

• The CRA will assess you and your spouse’s (or former spouse’s) returns together to ensure that the credits and deductions were correctly applied between you. If there’s any inaccuracy or mismatch, they’ll reassess your returns
  • Tip: You may want to save your tax refund (if any) until you receive your Notice of Assessment or Reassessment in case some or all of it needs to be repaid

Important: If you don’t enter your spouse’s income (or an estimate), it’s important that you don't claim the Spousal Amount. For more information, read the Spouse or common-law partner amount page on the CRA website.

For further information, please check our TurboTax FAQ: What if I don't know my spouse's income?

If you require further assistance please contact our phone support team or contact us directly on Facebook or Twitter.