Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zakaria-chayed
Returning Member

Hi, I need to add two T746 forms, one for 2022 and one for 2021 as I over contributed, and just realized and corrected the situation in 2023. The system only adds 1 form.

7 Replies

Hi, I need to add two T746 forms, one for 2022 and one for 2021 as I over contributed, and just realized and corrected the situation in 2023. The system only adds 1 form.

Only one is available. If you need more you can download the form from the CRA website and send them by mail. Or you can go back and adjust your returns for 2021 & 2022.

zakaria-chayed
Returning Member

Thank you for the response. If i download and fill an additional form separately, how do I ensure that the my online tax filing with Turbotax takes that into account? 

Once you complete the form and are ready to send it in, be sure to add a note, and they will take it and assess it with your income tax return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

zakaria-chayed
Returning Member

If I understand you correctly, I should proceed as follows:

- complete and submit the 2023 tax filing with Turbotax adding only one T746 form (e.g. for 2021).

- file my tax application online through Turbotax

- mail a separate T746 form for the missing year (2022), and ask the CRA to make an ajustement.

Is this correct? Or do you recommend something different?

We recommend that you adjust the tax years in which you have overcontributed.

Here is a great TurboTax article to help you: What Are RRSP Over-Contributions and How to Resolve Them?

zakaria-chayed
Returning Member

Thank you, the article doesn't address my specific challenge which is that I over contributed for 2 years (2021 and 2022) and I am trying to figure out how to properly complete my 2023 application on turbotax if I can only enter one T746 form. If the second T746 form isn't completed as part of my Turbotax inputs, the numbers will not be correct. 

@zakaria-chayed If you make the adjustments to your 2021 & 2022 returns, then you will be able to just enter your RRSP information normally on your 2023 return.

If you have confirmed with the CRA that you can use two T746 forms, then as mentioned before, TurboTax only gives you one T746 form. You would either have to print and mail your 2023 return with the 2nd T746 form and manual changes to your return, OR submit the return with one T746, and then send the 2nd form as an adjustment after.