Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baksz

Hi, I sold my primary residence in 2017. I just netfiled with Turbotax Premier. Do I still need to fill out T2091 manually and send it to CRA? Thanks.

If so, which else documents do I need to manually fill in as well?

Thanks!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I sold my primary residence in 2017. I just netfiled with Turbotax Premier. Do I still need to fill out T2091 manually and send it to CRA? Thanks.

If you completed the information in TurboTax regarding the sale of your Principal Residence and successfully NetFiled your return to CRA, there is no need to send a paper copy of the T2091 - Designation of a Property as a Principal Residence form.

If you forgot or neglected to report the sale of your principal residence or didn't make the designation, you will need to ask the CRA to amend your income tax and benefit return for the related tax year as soon as possible. The CRA may be able to accept a late designation in certain circumstances, but you may have to pay a penalty.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/news/newsroom/tax-tips/tax-filing-season-media-kit/tfsmk27.h...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you completed the information in TurboTax regarding the sale of your Principal Residence and successfully NetFiled your return to CRA, there is no need to send a paper copy of the T2091 - Designation of a Property as a Principal Residence form.

If you forgot or neglected to report the sale of your principal residence or didn't make the designation, you will need to ask the CRA to amend your income tax and benefit return for the related tax year as soon as possible. The CRA may be able to accept a late designation in certain circumstances, but you may have to pay a penalty.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/news/newsroom/tax-tips/tax-filing-season-media-kit/tfsmk27.h...