Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shrlnbshp

How do i remove spouse from my turbo tax online tax profile, since we no longer live together and have separated? i want to remove him as a dependent from my file please.

we no longer want to file our taxes together under the same account, and last year we filed together, but this year i clicked 'start a new return' and it still added him from last year and it is no seemingly possible to remove him, there is no trash can to click by dependents as some instructions say, putting in blank information for his personal information is also not possible.
1 Reply

How do i remove spouse from my turbo tax online tax profile, since we no longer live together and have separated? i want to remove him as a dependent from my file please.

Yes, you can prepare your return separately from your spouse. When you start your TurboTax Online return, when it asks "Who are you preparing this return for?" answer "Myself". You will still have to provide some basic info on your spouse, as well as their income. Please note that if you use the same account you both will be able to see each others return.

If you do not want to see each others returns, you will need to create a new TurboTax Online account. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.