Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ando7779

I am filing these Returns for my daughter who has been separated from husband for over a year. How do show that on the return?

1 Reply

I am filing these Returns for my daughter who has been separated from husband for over a year. How do show that on the return?

If your daughter separated in 2020, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will still require her ex-spouse’s/ ex-partner’s information. The info is needed for a number of reasons, like eligibility for certain credits or deductions, handling property they still own together, etc. You would answer “Yes” to the question "Did you separate from your spouse/partner in 2020?", that appears after you select the “Separated” marital status.

If your daughter separated before 2020, you say "No" to the question "Did you separate from your spouse/partner in 2020?". Then you won’t need to provide any info about her ex-spouse/ ex-partner. This FAQ has instructions on how to change marital status if you have already passed that point: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/3425400