Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ktc-ryan

I'm in the process of marital separation. On the agreement, it says we've been separated as of Aug 2023, but we haven't officially signed it. What is our marital status?

My husband and I are separating. We're in the process of signing our separation agreement dated August 2023, but it hasn't officially been signed... Do I still say I'm "separated" in my marital status?
3 Replies

I'm in the process of marital separation. On the agreement, it says we've been separated as of Aug 2023, but we haven't officially signed it. What is our marital status?

As per the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) you should say you are separated.

Separated means that you have been living apart from your spouse or common-law partner because of a breakdown in the relationship for a period of at least 90 days. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Shawn72

On Dec 31 2023 it had not been 90days of separation for me... but when I file my taxes this April it will be more than 90days.  Do I file as separated or no?

To clarify this, you may contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) by calling them at 1-800-959-8281. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.