Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenpat1
Returning Member

I purchased an audit defence. There was a warning about possible auditing. Is an audit done before I receive my refund?

I submitted my returns 20th April, 2016. I have not yet received a refund. Do I receive the refund before any decision is made regarding whether I will be audited or no?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I purchased an audit defence. There was a warning about possible auditing. Is an audit done before I receive my refund?

The audit warning that you might get in TurboTax doesn't mean you'll be audited. It simply a caution to let you know there's something in your return that makes your return slightly more likely to be reviewed by the CRA than usual and that you should make sure everything you've entered is in order and well supported by your slips and receipts.

The CRA will process your return and issue your tax refund, if you're eligible.

They typically do a second processing run later in the year and at that time, the people whose returns they want to review (or audit) are notified. Being audited is uncommon and if you've purchased Audit Defence, you'll be in good hands if you need some help if it happens.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The audit warning that you might get in TurboTax doesn't mean you'll be audited. It simply a caution to let you know there's something in your return that makes your return slightly more likely to be reviewed by the CRA than usual and that you should make sure everything you've entered is in order and well supported by your slips and receipts.

The CRA will process your return and issue your tax refund, if you're eligible.

They typically do a second processing run later in the year and at that time, the people whose returns they want to review (or audit) are notified. Being audited is uncommon and if you've purchased Audit Defence, you'll be in good hands if you need some help if it happens.