Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I put zero in my non resident husband's income. Line 303 showed a certain amount. did I do something wrong?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I put zero in my non resident husband's income. Line 303 showed a certain amount. did I do something wrong?

Is your husband's income really zero? If so, you can claim the spousal amount (on line 303) if he depends on you for support. You'll need to make sure you can prove that you're supporting your spouse (with receipts, cancelled cheques, etc.) if the CRA asks to see some documentation later.

If your husband does have income, enter the amount (converted to Canadian dollars) or at least $15,000. Entering $15,000 will make you ineligible for the spousal amount and remove it from your return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Is your husband's income really zero? If so, you can claim the spousal amount (on line 303) if he depends on you for support. You'll need to make sure you can prove that you're supporting your spouse (with receipts, cancelled cheques, etc.) if the CRA asks to see some documentation later.

If your husband does have income, enter the amount (converted to Canadian dollars) or at least $15,000. Entering $15,000 will make you ineligible for the spousal amount and remove it from your return.