Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
markberry9757
Returning Member

I received a NEL (non-economic loss) payment from WSIB in 2022. WSIB says it does not issue a T5007 slip for it. CRA said I don't have to enter it on my taxes. Yes/No?

TurboTax gave me wrong advice, to enter it manually as a T5007. This is not the case.  Only one person from the CRA said I don't need to report it.  I keep getting different opinions, so I'm just trying to get a definite opinion, not a probable opinion.  Thank you.
3 Replies

I received a NEL (non-economic loss) payment from WSIB in 2022. WSIB says it does not issue a T5007 slip for it. CRA said I don't have to enter it on my taxes. Yes/No?

If the CRA told you not to enter it, then don't enter it. The CRA is the #1 authority on the tax rules. 

markberry9757
Returning Member

I agree that the CRA is where I want to go for advice.  However, I'm not going to take the advice of ONE person, who might've been working there a few weeks.   I want something concrete.   

P.S. Having something on paper is needed also to get TurboTax to reduce the price they want for an "expert review", which has given me erroneous advice.  

markberry9757
Returning Member

As with anything, you can't just take the word of one person at the CRA, you have to get second or third opinions.  I talked to somebody else, who told me which lines specifically to enter my info, and reassured me that it's correct, even if it doesn't seem right.  Needed somebody experienced.

As for TurboTax, the first opinion I got from the "Expert Review" said to enter it in line 10400, which would have been under taxable income.  YIKES.  I knew it was wrong just because it reduced my tax return by 700 bucks or so.  With that said, I'm miffed that until I protest it, I'm stuck paying for the "Expert Review".

Mark Berry