Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

I received a reassessment today for my 2019 taxes. I need to refile but cannot see a link to do this. I didn't enter my 2019 tuition and somehow got CWB in error. So owe.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a reassessment today for my 2019 taxes. I need to refile but cannot see a link to do this. I didn't enter my 2019 tuition and somehow got CWB in error. So owe.

If you did your 2019 taxes using TurboTax online, then unfortunately 2019 has been discontinued, so you won’t be able to adjust your return online. However, you can still make your changes using the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)’s My Account service or send in a request by mail, using a completed T1-ADJ T1 Adjustment Request.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

If you did your 2019 taxes using TurboTax online, then unfortunately 2019 has been discontinued, so you won’t be able to adjust your return online. However, you can still make your changes using the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)’s My Account service or send in a request by mail, using a completed T1-ADJ T1 Adjustment Request.

I just re-read your post.  I missed the part about you not entering tuition, so yes please follow the instructions provided by TurboTaxSusn to go to CRA and do the adjustment yourself.  

Feel free to post back if you have any other questions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The CRA sent a reassessment stating that I was not eligible for the CWB in 2019. It was removed and I owe it back plus arrears. It seems TurboTax added it as I was going through the modules and unfortunately, I didn't notice. I re-checked my 2019 tax and found my tuition was not entered but I am positive I entered the amounts. I did a Change my Return but adding the tuition made no difference on what I have to pay back for 2019 due to incorrectly claiming the CWB. In the latest reassessment for 2019, the tuition amount requested was added, but as a Carry Over for future years, not for the year it was actually paid like previous years. I thought adding it would reduce the amount I have to pay back for the CWB. Nope.

If you put in income that is low enough for the CWB, TurboTax will automatically apply it to your return. If you had added the tuition, it would have been removed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In the end I am paying back $1500 (CWB + arrears), and the missed $2750 tuition after submitting Change form was added as carryforward for future years (I graduated), not actual tuition paid for 2019 so resulting in no difference in refund. ($0.00) 

TurboTaxSusan can you please explain why the tuition would have been removed and not carried forward? Have not dealt a lot with the CWB so if you can give more info, that would be great.

@BSBNorthBay I have no access to the return, so I couldn't say if the tuition was removed, or just not added. Unfortunately, because the 2019 servers have been shut down, there’s not much that can be done to trouble shoot this issue as the original tax return file is no longer available.

You can try calling our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608 (Monday to Friday, 9 AM to 6 PM ET) and see if they can go over the return with you verbally.

Anonymous
Not applicable

No. I just did the Change my Return for 2019 to add the tuition from 2019 after receiving a reassessment stating I owe back the CWB. I located the 2019 tuition slip in CRA My Account. I checked the 2019 tax return and there was no tuition entered and CWB was. So I clicked Change my Return through my CRA account. I received a new reassessment but it lists the tuition as a carry forward for future years. There is nothing indicated under a line for tuition paid for 2019. I think because I was a part time student according to university profile, not fulltime I could claim the CWB. The reassessment for the 2019 says I was a fulltime student so I have to pay back the CWB. I have since graduated from university so I guess if I go back I can use the carry forward in the future. I'll pay what I owe. Just odd that tax years 2018, 2020, 2021, and 2022 I claimed tuition, no CWB and got a refund. But with 2019, through reassessment in 2022, I had CWB removed (pay back) and added tuition resulting in no refund.