Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I separated from my husband in October 2020, we have 2 children, one is living with each of us. How do we claim dependent children for part of the year?

1 Reply

I separated from my husband in October 2020, we have 2 children, one is living with each of us. How do we claim dependent children for part of the year?

To claim the amount for eligible dependants, please follow these steps:

When you start a new return, TurboTax will ask Do you have children or financially support another person? in the Introduction section of your return.

Info about your dependants (like their birthdate, their relationship to you and their income) is used to determine your eligibility for certain credits and deductions, so be sure to enter this info accurately!

To jump back to this step in your TurboTax return:

Note: The Find button is visible once you've completed the Setting Up section on your return. If you don't see it, go back to those sections and enter all your information.

1. Select Find from the TurboTax menu.
  2. In the Find window, type Dependants and select Go.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Do you have children or financially support another person?
  4. Complete the section Tell us about your dependant(s).
  5. Select Continue.

Important: You cannot claim your spouse or common-law partner as a dependant, even if they have no income.

To add this credit on your return:

Note: The Find button is visible once you've completed the Introduction and Profile sections of your return. If you don't see it, go back to those sections and enter all your information.

1.  Select Find (the magnifying glass icon) from the TurboTax menu.

2.  Type Amount for an eligible dependant, and select Go. The Your children and other dependants page should appear.

3.  Select Enter Credit Info. The Claim Dependant Credits page should appear.

4.  If you haven’t already done so, check the box for Amount for an eligible dependant, then select Continue.

5.  Answer Yes to the question Do you wish to make the claim for the amount for an eligible dependant?, and select Continue.

6.  Repeat steps 3-5 for each of your dependants.

7.  When you’re done entering all of your dependants, select Done Entering Credits.

For more information, please see the following:

Thank you for choosing TurboTax. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us