Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h-doa

I tried to file tax with my wife. She didn't have a SIN. I entered 0 instead but I got invalid SIN when tried to NETFILE her tax. She just got her SIN. What should we do?

I Completed my wife’s tax return form along with mine before the filing deadline and paid for both. However, her tax return didn't go through because of the invalid SIN error. She just received her SIN yesterday, but I can't change the invalid 0 SIN. I tried to file a separate one for her but it didn't work too. She didn't have any income last year btw, but I want to file her tax return as it is required for some tax benefits.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I tried to file tax with my wife. She didn't have a SIN. I entered 0 instead but I got invalid SIN when tried to NETFILE her tax. She just got her SIN. What should we do?

You can start a completely new return for your spouse.  If she doesn't have a Social Insurance Number, you would enter 000 000 000 in that field.  If she does have a social insurance number, enter it but also you will need to print it out and mail it to the Canada Revenue Agency if this is the first time that she will be filing an income tax return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

You can start a completely new return for your spouse.  If she doesn't have a Social Insurance Number, you would enter 000 000 000 in that field.  If she does have a social insurance number, enter it but also you will need to print it out and mail it to the Canada Revenue Agency if this is the first time that she will be filing an income tax return.

h-doa

Thank you very much for the response. I remember, however, that I Netfiled my first tax the without any problem. Is it because my wife doesn’t have any income that she must send it by mail? Thanks.

If the Canada Revenue Agency does not have any information on record for your spouse, that would be the reason for having to paper file the first income tax return.