Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gina22222

I was separated in 2020 and I don't have my ex's information. Why do I need this to continue my taxes and how can I skip this step?

1 Reply

I was separated in 2020 and I don't have my ex's information. Why do I need this to continue my taxes and how can I skip this step?

As per CRA:

Ex-spouse information might be needed for the following information:

1. Spousal support payments can be tax deductive for the payer and must be recorded as income for the recipient.  However, if the spousal support is the lump-sum payment, it is non-deductible. 

• The recipient reports the amounts as income on line12799 Total and line 12800 Taxable amount of support payments received. Support Payments Received 
  • The payer reports the amounts as a deduction on line 21999 and line 22000 of support payments made Support Payments Made 

2. Dividing property or assets.

• Transferring funds between Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSPs) has no effect on taxes, but the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requires to fill this form T2220 Transfer 
  •  Property transfers must be filled in the tax return as it is taxable.

As we are unable to discuss issues in this public forum that requires the sharing of personal and confidential information.  You can contact us via private message on our Facebook Messenger or Twitter Direct Message or call our Customer Support team. 

Social Media