Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I would like to edit responses that I am filling for question 'would like to file returns for you and spouse together' but system is not allowing me. Pl. advise

1 Reply

I would like to edit responses that I am filling for question 'would like to file returns for you and spouse together' but system is not allowing me. Pl. advise

If you're using TurboTax Online, unfortunately there is no way to add or remove your spouse after you have started your return. The only option is to start a new return so that you can see the question “Let's get started. Who are you preparing this return for?” again.

To create a new return, click on “Tools” in the black menu in the top right, and select “Return Manager”. You can create a new return by scrolling to the bottom of the list and clicking "Continue" next to "Start a new 2017 return".

If you're using the CD/Download version of TurboTax:

To add your spouse after you have already started your return: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647707

Sadly, there is no way to remove your spouse after you have started your return together. The only option is to start a new return, and Select “Yes” at “Do you want to prepare your returns together”.