Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal for when you do a refile for the reassessment to only have the amount that you added on and not the whole new refund amount ???

10 Replies

Is it normal for when you do a refile for the reassessment to only have the amount that you added on and not the whole new refund amount ???

Refile is the quick way to make an adjustment which is essentially only changing one or two entries which have been missed or need to be added in. It is not meant to redo all of the return. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

So I will get the whole amount and not just the adjusted amount?

The reassessment will need to be done by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for the amount to be updated. It is recommended that you wait for your initial Notice of Assessment before doing a Refile. This way there is no confusion as to what was already received or not.

@sammyfaith Did you end up receiving the whole amount? I just came across your question when I tried googling the same question. I also refilled and the refill refund is extremely lower than my original file. 

@Jessicaashley  

Yes! The CRA said that I am still getting my original return and the refile amount.  🙂 🙂  I wondered if this would happen to others! I wish the amount on the overview page would change then lol 

@sammyfaith lol PHEW! It didn’t look right but you never know with CRA. Thanks for asking in the first place and now letting me know😊

@Jessicaashley  Happy to help! 🙂

Thank you for helping each other. We appreciate the feedback. If there are any other questions regarding your refund please call the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) at 1-800-959-8281.

@sammyfaith Hey again! Sorry to bug you! Did you receive your refund yet? If so Was it the whole amount? I’m stressing about it a bit if you couldn’t tell. lol