Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My daughter turned 18 in May of 2016. Can I still claim her as a dependant from January to May? Also do I deduct any income she made during the year?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My daughter turned 18 in May of 2016. Can I still claim her as a dependant from January to May? Also do I deduct any income she made during the year?

Since your daughter was under the age of 18 for part of the year, you can claim eligible dependant on your income tax return as long as you meet all the other requirements.  You would need to report any income that she had during the year and that will be subtracted from the claim for eligible dependant.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/305/lgbl-eng.html

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Since your daughter was under the age of 18 for part of the year, you can claim eligible dependant on your income tax return as long as you meet all the other requirements.  You would need to report any income that she had during the year and that will be subtracted from the claim for eligible dependant.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/305/lgbl-eng.html

Ok thank you. So this is the same as equivalent to spouse?

Yes it is!

Great thx!

You're welcome!