Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My kids they are not residents so I need to put SIN 000 000 000 and is not allowing me

1 Reply

My kids they are not residents so I need to put SIN 000 000 000 and is not allowing me

If your children are Non-Residents of Canada and do not have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN), you can either leave this field blank or enter 000 000 000. 

Generally, you can not make any claims for Non-Resident Dependants so a SIN is not needed. Depending on which version of the software you are using, leaving this field blank or entering zeroes will not have any effect on your return. If a warning or error message is generated by the entry of zeroes, you should be able to bypass this. 

If you need more assistance with this, please reach out to us directly. You can contact us by private message on one of our social network channels. Facebook/Messenger Private Message or Twitter Direct Message.

You can also contact our Support Team by following the link below and in the field that says "Ask your question", type in "your question" and you will be directed to an agent that can assist you. TurboTax Customer Support