Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My niece was born in 2000. is she exempt from paying provincial or federal income tax as she was 17? She lives in Saskatchewan

3 Replies

My niece was born in 2000. is she exempt from paying provincial or federal income tax as she was 17? She lives in Saskatchewan

There is no minimum age limit on who should file a tax return. The link below gives details on who is required to file a tax return, but basically, if you earned income you are expected to file a return. Even if your niece didn’t earn income, if she has eligible tuition, she would want to file a return to be able to transfer or carry forward that amount.

https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/who-is-required-to-file-an-income-tax-return-126

She did work during the year but when I enter her t4 info in it shows she owes taxes.  I was under the impression that if she was under 18 she would be refunded any income tax that she paid. Can you clarify that for me?  Thank you

Anybody who files a tax return files using the same rules, regardless of age. Anyone who has income may have to pay taxes.