Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My son separated in June 1, 2016 and I added the marital status as separated and the date. It says I have to report her income. is this right.

Kurtis: Your spouse/partner's income for the year is required to properly calculate your tax return. If you don't enter it, when the CRA receives your spouse/partner's return you will be reassessed and you'll owe the difference in your refund or tax payable, plus interest. Your spouse/partner's income is required even if they passed away during the tax year.

1You must enter your spouse or common-law partner's net income. If you do not, your tax return will be re-assessed by the CRA and your refund or balance will be adjusted. You must answer "Yes" if your spouse or common-law partner's net income is zero.
Are you eligible to claim the spousal amount?
Yes No
Is your spouse or common-law partner's net income zero? Note: CRA considers income of less than a $1 to be no income.
Yes No 1
His or her net income for 2016 (line 236 of his /her 2016 Federal tax return)
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My son separated in June 1, 2016 and I added the marital status as separated and the date. It says I have to report her income. is this right.

Yes. Your son's spouse's income is needed to properly calculate the spousal benefits he's entitled to for the portion of the year he wasn't separated.

Here's what you do: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647950

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes. Your son's spouse's income is needed to properly calculate the spousal benefits he's entitled to for the portion of the year he wasn't separated.

Here's what you do: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647950