Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chau0103

My wife has zero income and i am getting refund on my tax. Can i still apply for Spouse tax credit ?

3 Replies

My wife has zero income and i am getting refund on my tax. Can i still apply for Spouse tax credit ?

You can claim the spouse or common-law amount if you supported your spouse or common-law partner at any time during the year and their net income was less than their basic personal amount.

For more information, please visit the link: Spousal or common-law Partner Amount

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

chau0103

Thank you information. can you please explain how to claim on TurboTax. I did not find options for spouse tax credit. 

Thank you again.

Line 30300: Spouse or common-law partner amount

TurboTax automatically claims this amount for you if you are eligible.

It's calculated based on you and your spouse/partner's combined net income, so it's important to enter your spouse/partner's income (enter 0) into your return, whether you're preparing your returns together in TurboTax or not.

Unlike the TurboTax CD/Download version, the TurboTax Online version does not have the form view with the Line 30300: Spouse or common-law partner amount as seen below in Schedule 5. You may recognize some of the questions you answered during the My Info interview.

To see Line 30300: Spouse or common-law partner amount, go to the left menu and follow the steps indicated on the image below.

You can now scroll down on the right screen to see Line 30300: Spouse or common-law partner amount.

Thank you for using TurboTax.