Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never filed my taxes and don’t have all documents, help needed

I’m turning 21 this year and started working in spring of 2014. I’ve been working since then, but I’ve never filed my taxes. I know, I know. I want to get everything sorted and clear this time around. I have T4s for my current job, last job, and one for an older job. Which means I’m missing two T4s, as I’ve worked five jobs. I don’t receive income from anywhere else. I also haven’t started university yet; I’m starting a bachelor’s degree this fall and have paid a 200$ deposit so far. Extra info: I use my parent’s insurance and a free program to pay for my several medications, I qualify as disabled, and I live at home without rent (but have just paid a security deposit and first month’s for my house for the school year) - if any of that matters. What do I do? How on earth do I file in my situation? It’s stressing me out to no end.

5 Replies

The key is to not address everything at once.

For starters, taxes are filed by Tax year, each a separate tax filing. We are now doing 2017!.

If you have never filed before, you are a first time filer, and most usually you will have to submit at least one tax year by mail. I suggest you start with your 2017 taxes, which means you have to retrieve all the T4s from 2017. Plus any other slips from 2017.

Complete and submit your 2017 taxes by mail, attaching copies of your T4s.Do nothing else until you get your 2017 Notice of Assessment, this satisfying current filing requirements.

Further points:

1.you may qualify for Diisability Credit. Do not apply yet. Wait until after 2017 return is assessed, then apply.

2. Don't be concerned about Tuition. That credit won't apply until you file 2018 taxes.You will obtain a T2202A slip for 2018 from your school. Don't worry about it now.

3. Later this year , after 2017 is assessed, apply for My Account for CRA. You will then be able  to retrieve all your earlier T4s for each tax year 2014, 2015, 2016, and file each of these years, electronically if possible. If not, mail in.

kamilaol

Hey!

This is my first time filing taxes. I started working in 2018 and never filed my 2018 tax. I started using turbo tax to do my 2018, and 2019 taxes. I filled everything out but every time I try to file it it never works. I have applied to CERB so I have a CRA account, but every time I try logging into my CRA account I can't. I thought maybe by logging in I can check if the information I have on my CRA account matches my taxes. Am I suppose to mail my first income tax and then I can do everything electronically after that? I read that applies to new Canadians but I am not. If I do need to mail where do I mail it to?

I am not sure what steps to take now, and I really need help. If you could break it down what next steps I can take it would mean the world. 

Kamila

TurboTaxHeba
Intuit Alumni

If this is the first time to file for a return or any benefits then you will need to mail the returns. You either mail both of them at the same time or you mail 2018 return and wait for your NOA (Notice of Assessment) letter then you can Netfile 2019.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/corporate/contact-information/where-mail-your-paper-t1-retur...

I hope this was helpful

I have a huge problem and I don't know how to go about doing anything to help myself. I haven't filed my taxes in 9 years and I don't know the previous address I had on file in order to verify my self I'm on assured income for the severely handicapped I don't know how to get all my t4s and t5s from those previous years in addition I did have a job but I can't remember exact dates and income that was made I feel like I'm a hot mess I need help and guidance some one please help me ps haven't filed since 2015

Please get in touch with the CRA at 1-800-959-8281. They will be able to send you your T-Slips.  We do have our TurboTax Live Assist & Review team who can help as you are completing your tax returns.  

You can get your prior year's tax returns from TurboTax from 2017 to 2023

You will need to print and mail your tax returns for the tax years 2015 and 2016.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.