Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

khb1
Level 1

If I purchased software can I still use TurboTax online without paying twice?

I've used online the last couple of years.  I purchased the CD version at Costco.  I thought I could still use the online version and there would be a code or something for the payment.  Is this possible or should I return the software?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

No, the CD purchase does not allow use of TurboTax Online.  You will need to decide which one to use.

Be aware that the CD version is more fully-featured than the Online version.  It does not have form limitations, and has the popular Forms Mode that the Online version does not have.   Online Deluxe cannot prepare Schedules C,D,E,F, or enter K-1.  In an Online product, Premier is required for Sched. D or E.  In an Online product, only Home and Business can prepare Sched. C or F.

Depending on what you bought, your CD may also have an included state program.  In the Online version, a state return is an extra 39.99.   The Deluxe CD may or may not have a state program included; it comes in two versions--Federal-only, or Federal and State.

In the desktop version, one can prepare multiple Federal returns with 5 free Federal efiles.  There is a 24.99 fee to efile a state return (free for New York.)  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

The desktop Basic Edition does not include a state program and cannot import from ItsDeductible.

The Online version can only prepare 1 Federal return per account.

View solution in original post

63 Replies

No, the CD purchase does not allow use of TurboTax Online.  You will need to decide which one to use.

Be aware that the CD version is more fully-featured than the Online version.  It does not have form limitations, and has the popular Forms Mode that the Online version does not have.   Online Deluxe cannot prepare Schedules C,D,E,F, or enter K-1.  In an Online product, Premier is required for Sched. D or E.  In an Online product, only Home and Business can prepare Sched. C or F.

Depending on what you bought, your CD may also have an included state program.  In the Online version, a state return is an extra 39.99.   The Deluxe CD may or may not have a state program included; it comes in two versions--Federal-only, or Federal and State.

In the desktop version, one can prepare multiple Federal returns with 5 free Federal efiles.  There is a 24.99 fee to efile a state return (free for New York.)  There is no fee to print and mail the state returns.

The desktop Basic Edition does not include a state program and cannot import from ItsDeductible.

The Online version can only prepare 1 Federal return per account.

Yunger02

This seems like double-dipping on your part, intuit. Disappointing to say the least. The two systems I am certain talk to one another. Don't make taxes harder or more expensive than they need to be.

@Yunger02 wrote:

This seems like double-dipping on your part, intuit. Disappointing to say the least. The two systems I am certain talk to one another. Don't make taxes harder or more expensive than they need to be.

No the two systems do not in any way "talk" with each other.  The online editions and the desktop editions are totally separate programs.

@Yunger02 wrote:

You haven't said what your situation is and what you are wanting to do.   Did you purchase the desktop software but prepared your return online instead?   If so,  you don't have to pay twice.   If that's your situation, we can tell you how to download the *.tax2019 data file you prepared online and finish and file it in your desktop software.

Or if you wish to stay and pay in Online TurboTax, we can tell you how to get a refund for a desktop software purchase.

Good afternoon, 

I'm in a similar situation to the OP where I bought the cd for federal and state (VA) but have used the online product for several years. 

Can you share instructions on how to download the *.tax2019 data file prepared online to the desktop software?

If you started the 2019 return online and want to finish in the 2019 downloaded version :

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901476-how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-the-turbotax-softw...

If you did NOT start the 2019 return online yet and just need to transfer the 2018 info to the 2019 downloaded program ...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

I bought the desktop CD version from Costco, but later discovered my computer is not modern enough to use it. The application advised me to switch over to the online version. How do I get a refund for the desktop version?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to take the product back to Costco since that is where you purchased the product.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ huangjinyoujiao 

Costco will likely take it back, which will be the easiest and fastest solution.  But if they won't, you can use this online refund request form.  However, you would need to mail the CD and copy of the receipt to TurboTax as instructed at the page.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/forms/refund-request.jsp

Julie58
Returning Member

I see how to save my online-prepared return. But do I have to pay again for the downloaded version? Or do I get a refund on the online - purchased version? I already paid for the online version but I need the download, desktop version.

If you paid for the online version you can ask Turbo Tax for the Desktop download.  Contact Customer Service
5am-5pm Pacific Time Monday -Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

@Taxlover88   Your comment is blank.

klm123

You then should specify that "intuit offerings" do not all work together and you should not log onto your account if you were using online vs CD/download. Please add this to the FAQ section to stop being deceptive. Does this also mean that every time you get the CD version that you need a new account? Please answer both of these questions for other customers.

Thank you!!!

@ klm123 wrote:

You then should specify that "intuit offerings" do not all work together and you should not log onto your account if you were using online vs CD/download. Please add this to the FAQ section to stop being deceptive. Does this also mean that every time you get the CD version that you need a new account? Please answer both of these questions for other customers.

Thank you!!!

This is a user community forum, not a direct route to the folks at TurboTax Support.

It's not clear what your situation is, but based on the thread topic title, I'll assume your issue is the same as the original poster.  

If you purchased a CD/download, but want to use Online TurboTax instead, you can get a refund for your desktop software and then use and purchase Online TurboTax.  If you purchased a CD at a retail store, and if the store won't refund it, then you can use this refund request form within the first 60 days:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-request-a-refund-for-my-turbotax-product/...

You asked:  "Does this also mean that every time you get the CD version that you need a new account?"

No.  In fact, people should ideally have only one Intuit account.   Multiple accounts can lead to confusion, access problems, etc.  

ADDENDUM:

If you started a 2020 return in Online TurboTax and also have the CD/download version, if you wish you can download the *.tax2020 data file you started online and finish/file it in the 2020 desktop software without starting over.   We can tell you how to move from Online TurboTax to the desktop software.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies