Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I make an adjustment to my 2021 taxes using TurboTax and if so how?

6 Replies

Absolutely. You can adjust multiple tax returns dating as far back as 10 years. This is why it’s important to make sure you hang on to old receipts, tax slips, and other documentation. When you have these, it’s never too late to make changes.

You can use ReFILE. Using ReFILE is one of the fastest, easiest, and most cost-effective ways to make changes to your previously filed tax return. Simply submit your adjustments using the same certified NETFILE software you used when you filed your tax return.

*TurboTax doesn’t have ReFILE services available for residents of Québec.

You can also sign in to your CRA My Account and click where it says “Change my return”. After selecting the tax year and line that needs to be changed, you can input the correct information to submit your changes.

Or you can also make changes to your tax return by mail, you’ll have to complete a T1 Adjustment Request and send it with all supporting documents for the change to your local tax centre

For more information, please see TurboTax webpage: How to Change Your Tax Return After You've Filed.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

aloha-tx
Returning Member

I have made the changes but cannot find the ReFILE button in my TurboTax Standard 2021 and 2022 CD/Download edition. Please help!

@aloha-tx You would click on the Refile button and then make your changes. Then you would continue on to file as if you were using NETFILE. 

If you are still not able to resolve this issue, please contact our phone support team at 1-888-829-8608.

aloha-tx
Returning Member

Thank you @TurboTaxSusan. Your advice is to click on the Refile button, but my point is that I cannot find the "Refile" button in my Canadian TurboTax Standard 2021 and 2022 CD/Download editions. The closest I was able to find is "Change a filed return" button as shown in the screenshot below.

Could you tell me how I can get to the Refile button? If possible, could you attach your screenshot please?

Screenshot 2023-03-27 150706.jpg

aloha-tx
Returning Member

Could you also explain what is the difference between "Open an existing return" and "Change a filed return"? Both seem to do the same thing.

The ReFile button should appear next to any return in your list that was successfully filed using NETFILE. If you don't see the return in the list, you can use the "Change a filed return" button to find it. "Open an existing return" will let you open any return.

If the file that you want to change doesn't have the RefIle button next to it, then it either wasn't successfully filed using NETFILE, or it wasn't saved after NETFILE, so the file didn't store the NETFILE confirmation.