Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to file a joint return with spouse?

Do I have to file a separate Foreign Income Verification statement ?
1 Reply

How to file a joint return with spouse?

In online versions of TurboTax, you can prepare your spouse or common-law partner's tax return at the same time as yours. This is called a spousal/coupled return. If you’ve already started your return but haven’t indicated that you want to prepare together, you'll need to start a new return and indicate that you want to prepare your spouse or common-law partner’s return together with yours.

To prepare your returns together using TurboTax Online:

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account
  2. Select Start a new return
  3. Select the TurboTax Online product you wish to use, and indicate how you did your taxes last year
  4. On the Welcome step, select My spouse/partner and me under the question Who are you preparing this return for?
  5. Follow the prompts to enter your personal information. On the What's your marital status? step, select Married or Living Common-law
  6. Do you want to prepare your returns together?, select Yes
  7. Select Continue and proceed with completing your returns.

Yes you need to file a separate Foreign Income Verification statement

For more information visit our TurboTax Website "How do I prepare a spousal or coupled return in TurboTax Online?"

For more information on Foreign Income Verification, statements visit the Canada Revenue Agency website. "Foreign Income Verification Statement".

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.