Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought I was starting my 2022 but realized after I had filled in some information that it was actually a 2021 return. How do I cancel it?

I want to discard a file.  The trash can does not show up beside the file name.
1 Reply

I thought I was starting my 2022 but realized after I had filled in some information that it was actually a 2021 return. How do I cancel it?

To delete a return that has not been filed yet, please follow these steps:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online for the tax year of the return you’d like to delete.
  2. On the “Great to see you again!” page, locate the return.

The steps below outline how to delete a return, depending on whether you have one or more in your account.

If you have one return in your account:

To help make sure users don’t accidentally delete a return they’re working on, TurboTax prevents users from deleting their most recent “active” return. To get around this, you’ll need to create a blank return. This way, the blank return will be your most recent active return, and the return you want to delete will become inactive.

1.  On the “Great to see you again!” page displaying your tax return, scroll down to Start a new return and select Continue (you also have the option to select Start a new return from the navigation bar).

2. On the subsequent page, select the Standard edition. Answer the question How did you do your taxes last year? and select Continue.

3. Select My Returns from the navigation bar, then select View all tax returns from the menu options that appear.

4. On the page that displays your tax returns, you'll see two returns: the blank return you just created, and the return you want to delete. Locate the return you want to delete and select its corresponding trash can icon.

5. When prompted to confirm the deletion, select Delete.

To start a new return, please follow these steps:

Sign into your TurboTax account for the most recent tax year from the TurboTax home page.

1. Go to TurboTax.ca.
  2. Select Sign In, then select the year you want to prepare your taxes for (e.g. 2020).
  3. Once you’ve signed in, your TurboTax Online account opens to the Return Manager page.
  4. Select Start a new return.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.