Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to refile my taxes and change having my medical expenses filed under myself instead of my partner but the software isn't allowing me to see the screen to change it

3 Replies

I want to refile my taxes and change having my medical expenses filed under myself instead of my partner but the software isn't allowing me to see the screen to change it

Thanks for your question. Please navigate to your Deductionstab > Medical Expense Profile. Anything you have entered under medical expenses will be there to edit or delete. Also, If both spouses have taxable income, it is usually better to claim the medical expenses on the return with the lower net income.  This is because the lesser of $2,397 (federal for 2020, $2,421 for 2021 - see the tables of non-refundable tax credits for provincial/territorial amounts) or 3% of net income is deducted from the medical expenses to determine the amount to be used for the tax credit.

Tax Tip: If the lower-income spouse does not have enough tax payable to offset the medical expense tax credit, it may be beneficial to move the expenses to the higher-income spouse.

Please click here for more information.

No, it didn’t. I know how to edit our medical expenses in the software. The issue is that the software is no longer showing me the screen where we can select WHO to apply the credit towards and  that’s specifically what we need to change. I called the CRA and they said we are allowed to do it. He said it must be a turbo tax software issue. My only other choice is to file a T1

That's my problem as well.  It is impossible to get turbotax support for this problem.  I have been going around in circles for hours.  I have found turbotax has changed for the worse over the last 2 - 3  years.  Let me know how/if  Turbotax responds.