Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Received refund from "TPG PRODUCTS SBTPG LLC” today but amount is short by $700

Once your return is filed, TurboTax has no control over the processing of your return or the release of your refund.

Here are a couple FAQs to track your refund:
When will I get my federal tax refund?
How do I track my state refund?
Why does Where's My Refund say "approved" but TurboTax still says "accepted"?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can empathize with some of the people here since I ended up paying TurboTax significantly more this year than I have in the past. That said, I was aware of the option I selected once I started the filing process, as I've done through TT for almost 10years now. I felt like I was somewhat locked into the amount, and ended up paying for the higher priced "service" even though I didn't end up talking with a "tax expert" and seemingly didn't have an additional review that took place. Long story short, I paid a lot more this year for the same exact service that I've paid every year since first using TT back in 2014/2015. As a few others have said, it would be great if I could get a refund, though, I feel like that's extremely unlikely since I signed documents which stated the amounts and fees prior to finishing everything. Next year I'll also be reconsidering how I file since TT no longer seems like the most cost effective option for my family and me (Ended up paying over $330 in fees where I probably could've gone with whatever the "free" or cheapest option was...).

I have same issue. Does anyone know how to get the money back? 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If the IRS has adjusted the amount of your refund, you will receive a letter that explains the adjustments soon.   There is a $40 fee for Refund Processing, but if the amount missing is $700, that is certainly an IRS adjustment.   @MrBeyond123 

See Topic 203 - Reduced Refund

calliemeg

Happened to me as well. Turbo tax took a few as well as the tpg people. So I won't be using Turbo Tax again next year. I feel like TurboTax should have us we were going to get hit with additional fees. After 8 years of using Turbo tax. Good bye 

Today I received a direct deposit for my federal refund, but the amount was short by roughly $70. This is after I calculated the amount TurboTax shows they would take on my order. Not as much as you, but not expected either. I would like to see Turbo Tax clearly state the amount of all fees to be deducted from my refund - no surprises!

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

To see your fees, go to: Tax Tools and Tools. These are down the left side of the screen in a black border.  Follow these directions.  

1. Down the left side of TurboTax, click on Tax Tools. 
  2. Click on Tools. 
  3. Click on My Fees in the center of the screen. 
ANG09

I wish I had seen this before filing with TurboTax’s and had just listened to my gut and went to a tax professional . I’ve been using them for years never had an issue until now. I got a little of my refund back today and am short $2900. I am so disappointed when I don’t even owe the IRS! Like it can not be that much to file when TurboTax charged me $172 to begin with. So is there a chance to even get the money back? I am going to reach out to TPG tomorrow as it was EOD but I won’t be using TurboTax services anymore. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

A $2900 adjustment indicates some sort of change to the tax return by the IRS.  They will send a letter of explanation within a few weeks.  They always send the refund they are approving out before that letter reaches you.  

@ANG09 Did you check the IRS federal tax refund website to verify that the amount that was issued by the IRS is the same amount as the refund shown on your Form 1040 Line 35a? - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

ANG09

Really? But I contacted the IRS and was told I did not owe anything nor were there any adjustments and it shows on the website as well when login . It just seems like everyone else is having the same issue which is why I commented. 

ANG09

Yes I did that same amount that it said I am to receive on TurboTax when I originally filed is still showing the same on the IRS site. 

SantanaK

I have a question. Who chose to have SBTPG handle the processing of our returns. Upon research, I am seeing a history of them stealing funds and not releasing funds from before this current tax season. In my opinion, that would make TurboTax liable if they chose to do business with a company with a shady history. Where is the due diligence? Personally, I have filed a complaint with the BBB. My husband and I owe nothing and we are missing $903 from our federal return. 

Yes, I am also missing $707. I am not happy. I hope they can recover it. I have been using TurboTax for many years and I would hate to leave them because of a fraudulent vendor. I am looking into this, but I was curious of others to be surprised that I am not the only one.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Is it possible your refund was offset?

The IRS and State Governments have the ability to offset a refund to pay for certain past due debts.  You generally will receive a letter stating what the offset was for.   

The IRS provides a toll-free number, (800) 304-3107, to call for information about tax offsets.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies